Friday, March 6, 2009

I see a red door

We thought Thailand was crazy - reckless - and out of traffic control. It has NOTHING on NAM.
We have traveled a grand total of about 8kms and came out of the car shaking - not really for ourselves, but more witnessing the survival of an unfathomable cluster of ruleless motorcycle pilots careering at us with no system in place.

It was so mind blowing that Ladesha who was rearing for some party action, quietly said to me I think I'm worn out watching this, I need a little nap. . Crossing the road to the hotel was seriously unreal >> Our driver told me to wait with a stern voice.. We gathered our bags with the other tourists and played a game of real life frogger on the road. I'm not lying - we were on a pedestrian crossing and not one person will dare stop.. they dart around you and for you with reckless abandon. The closest visual description I can give is sticking your finger in a stream of water and watching it break and reform in smooth aerodynamic arc.

After checking in, she went straight to sleep - I think she is dreaming of waking up somewhere sane.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - it's just such a sweet menu for fresh eyes. Full families on bikes - miles of twisted power cables dangling without pattern - catacombs of one man shops and sprawling pavement shoe stalls. Until then..

Check out the power cables - watch your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment