Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Serving Nam

Twas yesterday we did a tour to the ChuChi tunnels. It's preety shammy really but learned some crazy stuff. Apparently there were 600km of underground tunneling with the most insane American traps I have ever seen - very simple and very brutal - like bear traps, but designed to swing and barb testicles.. Crazy huh - only they could think of it. We got to experience a tunnel - which I reckon is borderline tourist fun. Basically you burrow for 100m into these super tight super dark holes of claustrophobia.. the funny thing is that the real thing was so small that your average westerner wouldn't fit.. the Americans called it the tunnel of hell. The Vietnamese lived in them for up to 10 YEARS.

At the end I had a go with an AK47 - you just have to - I felt since we traveled 2 hours each way it would be a must. $1 US per bullet meant I fired 10 - 6 went off in a second searching for Jonny in the trees. 3 jammed and 1 fell out and had to be put back in.. I mowed into a dirt bank and not the target >> but that was pretty choice I have to say.

Talking to my hotel man here at breaky - he said that 3 years ago a tourist turned a gun on himself and blew his head away > imagine being on that tour. Cripes.

We were encouraged to take photos with friendly Guerillas - ones that don't bite or burrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment