Saturday, March 7, 2009

It rains it pours

First day out and about today. Naturally we were awake at 5am watching movies on the lappy and counting down till the 7am breaky call. We hit the streets with no real destination, but after a couple of hours we ended up at the wartime museum. It is a heavy view of the Vietnam war - and I won't go into detail - but images were a sickening reality >> and the message was clear that this was a display of what America did to this country, with killings more like a gruesome competition between G.I's. It gave me heavy boots!

After being tugged about in the Ben Thang markets we decided to hit a bar in our district. I had just taken another one of my obsessive photos of the power cabling that threatens us from above and purchased a photocopied copy of Amercian Psycho when a black cloud came from above. A few drips fell and then the heavens rocked us with BUCKETING rain! I've never seen anything like it. Not only did it rain and not stop - but the streets filled up like a swimming pool and wouldn't drain. So after we settled the bill, I had to remove my shoes and socks and wade through the pools up to my knees feeling all street scum between my toes. While sheltering under a shop front I noticed that the flooding had chased these giant cockroaches out to higher grounds and they were in a mad panick. I was talking about them to another tourist when I felt a weird scramble go UP MY LEG heading for the highest ground in site - the cave opening of my shorts. I looked down and to my horror it was a mad cockroach with a mission - I had to kick my leg with a girlie scream. The tourist laughed and then I was running again. I'm now sitting in my undies drying out ;)

3 comments:

  1. Ooer, sacre bleu! What an experience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it called the museum of american war crimes or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha yep - Once known as the museum of Chinese and American warcrimes.. changed to get their cash rolling back in.

    ReplyDelete